Monday, July 9, 2012

A Call to Battle, Drink Local - act Global, and the American Caipiroska drink


I know that we had a post last week covering the 4th of July, but I attended a party at a local bar this weekend that was part birthday party / part deployment party for a young woman going to Afganistan.

When I saw this entry on Wiki for today, I truly felt compelled to write about it.

1776George Washington ordered the Declaration of Independence to be read out loud to members of the Continental Army in New York City for the first time.


I have never served. I have never been called upon, at a dark hour, to shoulder my unspoken but expected responsibility as a citizen of this Republic. I have never left my family and friends with short notice, asking only that they pray for my safe return. I have never stood shoulder to shoulder with strangers of different races and ages and sexes, all sharing but one common goal - the defense of our nation. I have never had to clean a weapon on the eve of battle, knowing the fate that could befall me, knowing the damage I would be asked to inflict on a fellow human, wondering "can I do this - can I do all that will be asked of me?". But - were I asked to serve in the defense of this country - I can think of no words better than those to give purpose to my actions and to steady my heart and my hands.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

On this day in 1811, Explorer David Thompson erects a sign at the joining of the Columbia and Snake Rivers in what is now Washington state - claiming the land for the United Kingdom. It would not be until 1846 that the land became part of the United States.






The Historical Inebriant:  American Caipiroska*
http://americanharvestspirit.com/drinks/11



Ingredients:

2 parts American Harvest**
2 lime wedges
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
1 teaspoon raw or turbinado sugar
Crushed ice
In a cocktail glass squeeze the juice of one lime wedge and add the other whole lime wedge, add sugars and muddle. Pour in American Harvest and stir well until sugar is dissolved. Add crushed ice and garnish with a lime wheel.


*a form of Caipirinha prepared with vodka instead of the usual cachaça.

**The American Harvest bottle features the wording "Snake River USA"


For an interesting review of American Harvest:
http://www.drinkspirits.com/vodka/american-harvest-organic-spirit-review/

I have tried the American Harvest and it was a Featured Inebriant on this blog a few weeks ago.
For the price point, I think it's a great value. (In my humble and unpaid opinion. Although
if they want to send me a case, I would not refuse)

AH Trade Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment: