Wednesday, September 12, 2012

How do I love thee, The glass of water, Procreation Day and The Pink Baby Cocktail



One this day in 1846, the poet Elizabeth Barrett eloped with the poet Robert Browning.  They would marry later that same year.  Elizabeth had been working on a new book of poetry during their courtship and Robert, always a champion of his wife's work insisted that her love sonnets be included in the publication.

When Sonnets from the Portuguese, was published in 1850, it drew much acclaim. Included in it was Sonnet Number 43, written for her soon to be husband.


Number 43

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

_______________________________________________________________________

On this day in 1880, H. L. Mencken, journalist and satirist of American life and culture, was born. Being particularly critical of the Temperance movement, he offered up one of my favorite quote on the repeal of prohibition after 13 years. A famous drinker, when Mencken was asked what his first drink after the repeal was, he answered "A glass of water...my first in 13 years!"


_____________________________________________________________________


Today is Procreation Day in the region of Ulyanovsk, Russia.  People are encouraged to take the day off from work and do their patriotic duty on this day.  Faced with a high death rate and a low birth rate, Russia's population has been on the decline since the breakup of the Soviet Union.  In Ulyanovsk, couples that have a child on June 12th (Russia's National Day and nine months after September 12th) will be given prizes and entered to win a new car!






For More Information:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6624865

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-471324/Sex-motherland-Russian-youths-encouraged-procreate-camp.html
Russia is not alone in facing low population growth rates. See the articles below on other nations that are facing the same issue.

South Korea
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8470330.stm

Japan
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/28/japan-sexual-health






The Historical Inebriant: The Pink Baby Cocktail



Ingredients:

2 oz. gin
1 oz. grenadine syrup
1 oz. orange vodka
1 egg white
Orange slice, for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker half-full with crushed ice. Add the gin, grenadine syrup, orange vodka and egg white to the cocktail shaker. Cover the cocktail shaker and shake gently for 10 to 15 seconds.  Strain the contents into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a fresh orange slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment: