Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? and The Tequila Esperanto


On this day in 1887, Unua Libro (First Book), was published by Dr. L.L. Zamenhof.
It was the first work written in the new international Lingvo Internacia, the universal language
later known as Esperanto.

Zamenhof, who spoke Yiddish and Polish and German as a youth, later learned French, Latin, Greek, Hebrew and English. As he learned these languages, he also learned much of the cultures of the native speakers and of the quarreling between many of these groups. Zamenhof supposed that the many different languages promoted hate and prejudice between cultures and if there was one universal language devoid of nationalistic pride, the world would be a much better place. As a side note, Unua Libro was published under the pseudonym Doktoro Esperanto (Esperanto translates as "one who hopes").

"The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies. In such a town a sensitive nature feels more acutely than elsewhere the misery caused by language division and sees at every step that the diversity of languages is the first, or at least the most influential, basis for the separation of the human family into groups of enemies. I was brought up as an idealist; I was taught that all people were brothers, while outside in the street at every step I felt that there were no people, only Russians, Poles, Germans, Jews and so on. This was always a great torment to my infant mind, although many people may smile at such an 'anguish for the world' in a child. Since at that time I thought that 'grown-ups' were omnipotent, so I often said to myself that when I grew up I would certainly destroy this evil."

—L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to Nikolai Borovko, ca. 1895








On this day in 2004, A Staples back-to-school campaign commercial features Alice Cooper and a little girl who challenges him on the true meaning of his hit song  “School’s Out”


2 comments:

  1. Dankon pro tio!

    Esperanto is not just something historical. It works! I’ve used it in speech and writing - and sung in it - in about fifteen countries over recent years. In fact, it's thanks to Esperanto that I've been introduced to some strange drinks (and a few strange drunks!) over the years. I'll give the tequila a miss!

    If you're interested in learning Esperanto, take a look at http://www.lernu.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't see this comment earlier. I do love the concept of Esperanto and am glad to see it still in use! I did take a look at the lernu.net site and that looks pretty interesting. Also, you were quite right about the tequila! :)

      Delete

Post Comment: