Monday, February 11, 2013

Drinking Soundtrack of the Week




Thursday of this week is Valentine's Day. If it's a day you look forward to all year long and you made your plans for this night three weeks ago, just stop reading now and click here: www.valentinesday.org.

For the rest of us, it is one of those days (second only to New Years Eve) that we wish we could sleep through entirely, waking up only after the last bloodied red-heart Hallmark card and the last piece of Be Mine candy has been stripped off the store shelves.  For the ever single, the newly single, and those that wish they were single - Valentine's Day is just another reminder that conspiracies do exist - and it's hell being the target of one.

One bright spot for me this week was that a podcast I follow, This American Life, played an episode I've heard before but truly love (true love).  It's their Valentine's Day tribute and it covers some very strange aspects of this thing we call love.  Calling it the VDay episode doesn't do it justice so I'm just going to assign my own title to this one and I'm calling it "Five Harvard Physicists Explain Why if You're Alone - You are Not Alone" or "Yes, I've found the perfect person for you - Do you speak Cantonese?"

The podcast is an hour long, but you should at least listen to the prologue, it's only 5 minutes and frames the entire show .  It's excellent.  Listen to it here.




_______________________________________________________________________

That being said, and since you now know where I'm coming from on this whole VDay thing, my pick for music this week is from Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs (obscure but talented individuals).  The piece is actually titled Like the Devil Do but this upload has a different title - another song from the same album having something to do with an actual gun law still on the books in the state of Texas, but that is neither here nor there - I hope you enjoy it.






Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do,
Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do.
You can dunk me in the river, gonna clean my sin,
But you might as well dunk me in a bucket of gin;
Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do.

Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do,
Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do.
I got me drunk on whiskey, drunk on wine--
The Lord don't like it but the devil don't mind;
Ain't nobody gonna love me like the devil do.


Now, that's the inside of a Hallmark card I would buy!

_____________________________________________________________________

Not that I'm bitter, but this is what I'll be drinking on the 14th.



The Historical Inebriant: Effin Broken Heart Cocktail




Ingredients:
Some Effin Vodka
Some Effin ice
An Effin glass

Find a proportion of the above ingredients that insures you having a good time on the 14th!



______________________________________________________________________



With so many playlists out there for VDay I thought I'd come up with a Love Gone Bad One 


14 For the 14th

In no particular rhyme, reason, or order (except sex) - cause that’s how love is


For the Girls

I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett  
Blow Me  - Pink
Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Hit Me with Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
Sleeping with a Broken Heart - Alicia Keys
Irreplaceable - Beyonce
Someone Like You - Adele
Since you been Gone - Kelly Clarkson
I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
We Found Love in a Hopeless Place - Rihanna
What’s Love Got to Do With It - Tina Turner

Unbreak My Heart - Toni Braxton
All the Single Ladies - Beyonce

    
For the Boys

Ex girl to the Next Girl - gang starr
Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye
Freebird - Lynard Skynard
This could be the last time - Rolling Stones
You Give Love A Bad Name – Bon Jovi
Would I lie to You - Eurythmics
Good Lovin Gone Bad - Bad Company
One More Night - Phil Collins
Already Gone - Eagles
Love Stinks - J. Geils Band
Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
No, Woman No Cry - Bob Marley
Shot to the Heart - Bon Jovi,  Lil' Wayne and Rick Ross
Don’t Come around here no more - Tom Petty




To view previous Drinking Soundtrack of the Week posts, click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment: