Thursday, April 26, 2012

There is no news...Bella Notte


Per Wiki:

1803 – Thousands of meteor fragments fall from the skies of L'Aigle, France; the event convinces European science that meteors exist.

I don't know why I find that so funny, but I do. I also have a horrible cold, so in between
coughing fits and chills, I find a lot of things funny. If this blogger interface supported the
Comic Sans font, I'd be using it right now.

What was not that funny is when I went through my usual suspects for historical news and found nothing compelling to write about that didn't require devoting 3+ hours of writing.  I write slow and think slower.  So forgive me if I will use something I passed on last week for the "Love of the Game" posts.

On April 18th 1930, the BBC's evening news program started out as follows: "Good evening. Today is Good Friday.  There is no news."  Piano music then played for a few minutes and then the regulary scheduled programming was resumed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/04/18/april-18-1930-a-day-with-no-news/


What do you call a day with no news, well I'll tell you what I call it, or rather drink to it!





The Historical Inebriant:  The Bella Notte
http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyrecipes/r/belle-notte-cocktail.htm



Ingredients:

  • 2 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 oz bourbon
  • 3/4 oz Solerno blood orange liqueur
  • 1/4 oz maraschino liqueur

Shake well with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker, then pour into a chilled cocktail glass.

FYI - Summer is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Comment: