Friday, November 2, 2012

Apologies, and The Falling Leaf Fizz Cocktail

As they say so often in that series "Spartacus" that plays on the Starz channel..."Apologies".

There is no real post for the day.  I could tell you the story of my traveling around the Bronx to get an accident report so I can claim the damage to my car, or I could tell you about driving around town trying to find a gas station that 1) had power 2) had gas 3) did not have a line of 25 cars in front of the pumps, or, I could tell you the story of how I've lost my phone (a brand new one, since mine died about 2 weeks ago) but none of that really matters.

While driving today I found myself looking at the leaves and thinking of the holidays that just past - Samhain and Day of the Dead, All Souls, and began thinking of a poem I had not thought of since I was in school...



Sonnet LXXIII
By William Shakespeare

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruin’d choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
In me thou see’st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west,
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.
In me thou see’st the glowing of such fire
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the death-bed whereon it must expire,
Consum’d with that which it was nourish’d by.
This thou perceiv’st, which makes thy love more strong,
To love that well which thou must leave ere long.


The seasons turn, night comes early and the end of another year is in sight.




I say we drink!!!




The Historical Inebriant: The Falling Leaf Fizz



Ingredients:

1 part Grey Goose La Poire Vodka
4 parts of sparkling wine
Dash of simple syrup
1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin butter
Pinch of pumpkin pie spice
dried apple chip for garnish


Place GREY GOOSE La Poire, pumpkin butter, spice and syrup in the bottom of a champagne glass.  Stir well. Top with sparkling wine and garnish.

This is a drink that I might go a little heavier on the vodka with, but would definitely be willing to try.

2 comments:

  1. I recently posted an article on homemade pumpkin butter, but shortly after posting realized that almost every drink that calls for it as an ingredient benefits highly from a syrup version instead. To do this, I thin out the pumpkin butter with water and add extra sugar, so i essentially have a pumpkin spice simple syrup. Then i simply replace the butter in the recipe with the syrup. Ive found it to work better almost all of the time, and I'm a huge fan of pumpkin cocktails using fresh ingredients.
    As an act of shameless self-promotion, I will include a link here:
    http://justaddalcohol.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/its-pumpkin-time/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, thanks for the tip. Always looking for ways to make the cocktail creation process simpler! Fall is here, so we will be featuring more of these drinks and would love to list one of yours. You can email me at thehistoricalinebriant@gmail.com.

      Delete

Post Comment: